[c-nsp] 1Gig->10Gig port-channel migration

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Oct 13 12:56:24 EDT 2011

On 13/10/2011 16:51, Tim Durack wrote:
> Any idea what the STP impact is likely to be? Sub-second? 30s? Wild
> STP oscillations that eventually recover 3 days later after disabling
> all redundant links? (Our STP is stable, but I still have a healthy
> fear of "waking the sleeping giant.")

depends on the flavour of STP you're using.  If slow STP, then you should
expect 30 seconds+.  If fast, you might get it down to 2-3 seconds.
Cisco's STP implementations are a bit slow to reconverge in comparison to
other vendors.  Not quite sure why it's so slow, but e.g. Brocade can do
subsecond 802.1w reconvergence.

Nick