[c-nsp] 1Gig->10Gig port-channel migration

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 13:55:22 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Alex Pressé <alex.presse at gmail.com> wrote:
> It can be sub-second if you configure uplinkfast and backbonefast.

We usually see sub-second convergence with MST. However, we don't
usually flap the port-channel between the two roots.

> I would manually set the weights of the current channel interfaces to be
> better than the 10-gig (or, set the 10G weights in the other direction).
> Then I'd make the physical connections so that the channel comes up but goes
> into blocking state after it has learned the addresses.

We thought of this too. Makes sense. I just hate tinkering with STP.
(Actually, I hate STP full-stop.)

OT: I do wish Ethernet had a means of establishing link and sending
test frames without having to commit to full L2/L3. Would make
commissioning links much easier.

> Once that is done and you've confirmed the interfaces are all up, I'd switch
> the weights back to default. 10G will immediately take over.
> If you've got a pair of other switches I'd definitely lab it out on some
> 100/1G channels.

Lab it up would be my preference. Don't think I can quite manage it
this time though. I'll have to pick a low-profile pop as the lab.

Thanks for all the input.

--
Tim:>