[c-nsp] EoMPLS ?s

Ge Moua moua0100 at umn.edu
Thu Oct 13 19:23:08 EDT 2011

In the past, we've used hw engines like the Cisco PXF (NSE-1xx) on the
73xx router platforms to do hw-based L2TPv3 processing; otherwise L2TPv3
in CPU is very resource intensive.

One can also consider doing something like MPLSoGRE/ATOM, then allow for
the L3/GRE headers to do frag/defrag where needed (for 1500 MTU links).
Throughput may be a concern here as frag/defrag typically punted to CPU
(unless there are ASICS now that can do that which I'm not aware of).
There are platforms that handle GRE processing in hw, but not
necessarily fragmentation for the large payload inside the GRE pkts.

I've been told by Cisco TAC that one should do some baseline testing
then see if performance related to chosen transport/signaling
methodology is sufficient base on needs.

Also on more than one occasion, Cisco TAC has recommended a MPLS
transport variation for extending L2 nets in-lieu of doing L2 over
native IP like L2TPv3 (assuming one already have a MPLS core);
justification was something about more SMEs for MPLS vs L2TPv3.

Good luck.

--
Regards,
Ge Moua