[c-nsp] ASR9k CWDM Optics

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Oct 16 05:29:37 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:06:13AM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> >ASR9k suddenly looks far less attractive.
>
> I'd still say that for IPoDWDM even if you have to pay for the optical
> license, getting DWDM optics means you still get a better deal than if you
> went with transponders.

Well, it really depends on how big your system is.  If you only have
2-3 wavelengths, DWDM optics on a passive splitter is attractive.

If you're talking about 40 wavelengths, amplification, cross-lambda
interference, etc., you want an active system.

> Remember the license is per blade, and if you can smear it out over 4-6
> ports on a 8 port blade, the license isn't that expensive per port.

Yeah, I noticed that, and this is what annoys me the most.  We like to
distribute load-shared circuits (or redundant circuits, for that matter)
across multiple blades - so Cisco already gets multiple times the money.

Now with that stupid license model, if I want to build useful resiliency,
I need twice the extra-license.

> Also, considering that you get make before break (pre-FEC BER based
> reroute) you get more functionality as well.

Yes, this is what makes this so attractive, even if I don't need the
extra gain.  But is worth $80k, assuming two locations and two line
cards on each side?  This is just plain crazy.

The only thing that speaks in favour of Cisco these days is that Juniper
is sucking big time, too.  Hooray.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de