[c-nsp] Running OSPF on PE-to-CE

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Oct 16 05:44:35 EDT 2011

On Sunday, October 16, 2011 05:36:31 PM Gert Doering wrote:

> Now, EIGRP-in-VRF seems to be fairly buggy (some commands
> are accepted but not stored, and don't actually *do*
> anything - like "static neighbors on interfaces with
> broken multicast" - and depending on IOS subrelease, it
> sometimes doesn't work at all in surprising ways), so we
> went OSPF-in-VRF there.  Again, mostly due to "the
> engineers working on this felt more comfortable with
> OSPF than with BGP".

One of the other (smaller) reasons we chose to stop
supporting IGP's for PE-CE routing protocols is that not all
IGP's are supported by all vendors.

Some vendors support EIGRP, others don't. IS-IS support is
strange, some platforms offer different support depending on
code, e.t.c.

Since Static routing and BGP seem to be fairly well-
implemented as a PE-CE routing protocol, not only among
vendors but also within the same vendor and their different
BU's, it just made sense not to have to "half-support" the
IGP menu.

Mark.