[c-nsp] best way to terminate channelized oc-3?

Matt Addison matt.addison at lists.evilgeni.us
Tue Oct 18 23:14:22 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 22:11, ML <ml at kenweb.org> wrote:
> On 10/18/2011 4:44 PM, Walter Keen wrote:
>>
>> If memory serves correctly, an Adran OPTI may be a good choice, if you're
>> looking to split a OC-3 out into DS-3's or some smaller tdm denomination.
>>  You'd then have to plug those DS3's into a relevant module for your router.
>>  I'm not sure if these have a CLI that is rancid-friendly if that happens to
>> be a concern.

Opti-3 is more of a transport device (convert 3x DS3/EC-1 signals into
an OC-3) than a termination device. If you're already comfortable with
and want to continue using channelized DS3 cards, and you just want an
OC-3 handoff from your telco, you could put a TCC+/XC-VT 15454
together relatively cheap, with OC-3 card facing the telco, and DS3XM6
cards facing your equipment (this assumes your telco wants to hand you
an OC-3 with VT1.5 mapping, rather than DS3s inside of an OC-3.
Instead if your telco is handing you DS3s and you want the Cisco
variant of an Opti-3 it's a 15454 with a 4 port OC-3 card, and a 12
port DS3 card- both dirt cheap on the secondary market). If you
actually want to terminate the OC-3 on a router you need to go to GSR
or something SPA based.

For the GSR, there's an Engine0 2 port channelized OC3 card.

For SPA platforms there's a 1 port channelized OC3 SPA.

AFAIK the STM1 PA for 7200 is SDH only, so you can't terminate a NAm
SONET OC3 on it.

~Matt