[c-nsp] Downsides of combining P and PE functions into a single box

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Tue Oct 18 23:46:53 EDT 2011

It depends on your routers and your business.  People like P routers because
they have the option of running just the IGP and a label protocol with a
very small table.  PE routers have to store an entire table, including L2VPN
and L3VPN routes.  I would ask the opposite question.  Is your network big
enough to warrant a core layer?  PE routers are always necessary unless you
plan to do a way with customers.  If you can connect all your PE's without
adding aggregation and core layers you'd obviously time, money and avoid
complexity.