[c-nsp] Downsides of combining P and PE functions into a single box

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Oct 19 11:41:32 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, October 19, 2011 04:29:50 PM Keegan Holley
wrote:

> It depends on the features.  Whatever features you need
> on the PE are always going to be there.  Whether you
> connect your PE to a core of P routers or connect the PE
> routers to each other doesn't affect this in most cases.
> Mark had a good example with the need for ingress
> re-marking, but even that is not required in all
> networks.  Beyond that I don't see alot of reasons to go
> with P routers unless you have a need for route/traffic
> aggregation which many networks do need.

The issue with features is they sometimes don't work, or do
the opposite of what you expect.

Pure MPLS cores are simple, and quite feature-basic.
However, it is understood that this may not be sufficient
justification to spend $$ a small ISP may not have.

Mark.