[c-nsp] Downsides of combining P and PE functions into a single box

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Oct 19 11:42:47 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, October 19, 2011 04:32:16 PM Keegan Holley
wrote:

> In a large network yes.  Most larger networks need it
> simply for traffic and route aggregation.  In smaller
> networks you may only have a few pops and even fewer
> features.  It may make sense to have a network of PE's.
> It really does depend on the specifics of a company and
> it's customers.

Which is why i said, in my initial post, that we use P/PE
designs in very small PoP's where we don't want to pour so
much money, and the customer dynamics are such that we won't
be doing anything bleeding edge in the, well, edge, to
deploy features that will be moving targets and kill the "P"
in P/PE.

Mark.