[c-nsp] Downsides of combining P and PE functions into a single box

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Oct 19 11:55:03 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:35:45 PM Jared Mauch
wrote:

> The real question:
>
> Are you selling customer links that are near to or equal
> to the size of your core links(s).

Certainly not, or else what's the point :-)?

> Anyone doing 10GE edge or looking at 100GE for
> customer-facing handoffs can save significant amounts of
> money by doing P/PE.  While there are tradeoffs, not
> having the cumulative cost of a packet being A+B+C and
> perhaps can be localized to a single device has value.
> I'm surprised that Rolland doesn't see this as an
> optimization as it would be something the Arbor
> equipment could help you optimize.

Well, we always try to have orders of magnitude more
bandwidth in the Aggregation and Core then the Access, and
I'm guessing a few on this list do too, even if you're
handing off 10Gbps interconnects to customers.

But it's not untrue that commercially, there are savings to
be made when you collapse the core.

> While some may see these cost savings as inelegant, the
> idea of a core will continue to come under these
> pressures.  Keep in mind the fraction of a chassis you
> must allocate for these edge <-> core links and core <->
> core links.  These have real world costs.

Luckily, equipment these days can be used either for the
edge or the core (which is why P/PE designs are feasible in
the first place).

That means I won't be relegated to a box that won't scale
well (cost-wise) as my core grows. The ASR9000 and MX-series
routers are excellent core routers, if you aren't keen on
paying the premium that the CRS and T4000 routers command.

More over, the Aggregation boxes are developing denser
10Gbps line cards, 40Gbps and 100Gbps line cards faster than
traditional core boxes. Gotta love the in-house BU fights at
vendor homes.

> There's a
> reason everyone didn't go out there and load-up on OC768
> hardware and just stuck with N*10G.  The finances don't
> work out.

STM-64/OC-192 is just about as sensible as it got. Anyone
not doing Ethernet for 10Gbps or above these days is simply
asking for it.

> The core has mostly gone ethernet for the major carriers
> that have high traffic loads.  The extra cost of the
> ethernet frame header, preambles, etc.. are worth the
> cost savings when compared to the lower SDH/SONET
> overhead at a higher per port cost.

Agree on that, and this has certainly made the core much
more affordable.

Mark.