[c-nsp] Downsides of combining P and PE functions into a single box

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Oct 19 14:47:15 EDT 2011

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:49:39 AM Keegan Holley
wrote:

> +1 on the $$$.   Still PE is one network P+PE is
> essentially two networks.

No. P + P/PE is one network.

P + P/PE are two devices.

> I still don't see how this
> adds to complexity.  For most commonly used features the
> per-hop-behavior is the same on the PE router whether
> the packet came from a core P router or another PE
> router.

There are many features that are not turned on on core
routers, which are on edge routers.

I can't recall the last time I logged into our core routers
for anything other than to add a new link. You don't want to
know how often our Provisioning team are logging into the PE
routers.

If one PE router goes down, I don't have to worry about 25%
of the country feeling the pinch, as I have that
abstraction.

> Maybe I'm missing something, but PE routers are
> not going everywhere and if we're strictly talking about
> complexity it's easier to manage one network instead of
> 2.

It's all one network. What's more than one is the devices,
not the network itself.

Even if it may seem trivial, it's important to make this
distinction, because successful networks are always scaling
up, and scaling up means buying more kit whether we like it
or not, i.e., device numbers go up, sometimes because you
want to delineate functions.

Mark.