[c-nsp] IP SLA

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Oct 19 17:59:42 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 18:01 +0200, Andrew Miehs wrote:
> I have been looking at IP SLA and was wondering whether there are any
> appliances around which emulate Ciscos IP SLA so that you can use it
> as a responder, or even better, the transmitter end?

There's this company "Cisco" that produces some nice appliances that are
useful as IP SLA responders. :-) We use some 2801's for this; you need
the Enterprise Base license for IP SLA functionality though. :-|

> If not, does anyone have any alternative device/ software
> recommendations?

Here's a very basic example of "roll your own":

http://ampere.rathlev.dk/rtr-responder.c

It doesn't handle control packets (of course), it just sets the
responder timestamp and returns the packet as is. And the port is
hard-coded.

Since IP SLA is often used to measure "special" classes one should take
care that the device actually respects/uses the correct TOS values. The
example does not take anything like this into consideration.

--
Peter