[c-nsp] Downsides of combining P and PE functions into a single box

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Oct 20 05:58:29 EDT 2011

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 05:32:40 PM Jared Mauch wrote:

> Somewhat similar to the intro to the movie "The Fifth
> Element" where they ask "what have you got that's bigger
> than x" and the response is nothing. When your customers
> have n*10g access, where do you place them? When they
> have n*100ge where do those go?

Being a relatively younger network, we have the benefit of
not having too much legacy kit running around. It also means
we're building at a time when vendors are reasonably putting
out dense, modern kit. Right place, right time.

I'll admit that this is a harder problem to solve unless
you're looking at current generation Ethernet edge boxes.
But then again, if you aren't looking at these, chances are
you don't have this problem anyway.

> It is certainly not ideal to place them on an edge device
> then buy another pair or two to just uplink/passthrough
> to the core to passthrough to a peering edge.

The core will have been there long before you customers
start ordering 10Gbps circuits. Provided you have the right
platform in the core, scaling up will neither be an issue
nor a problem when you have downstreams buying dozens of
10Gbps circuits from you.

For folks whose core is aggregating non-Ethernet circuits
too, it's not trivial to throw such links into a P/PE device
optimized for Ethernet. This may not necessarily justify
having an independent core layer, but if you're big enough,
maybe it is, among other reasons.

There is a reason Cisco and Juniper built multi-chassis
systems, even if I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea
even today :-).

> We may be networking but just on different scales. When
> you have 50+ 10g circuits on a path for traffic it makes
> you look at the costs differently than when you have one
> or two.

Agree, and working out the cost is not just a function of
whether you can do more with less. There's also avenues such
as special discount levels or relationships with vendors to
exploit. These are the bits, unfortunately, that won't make
it into the monthly industry journal :-).

> It may also be the market in your part of the world can
> bear these higher costs.

Like I said, cost isn't necessarily the only hand you have
to play. At these networking levels, it's more than a "Hi,
bye" between you and the vendors. Every ISP networking at
these kinds of bandwidth levels knows that.

> I've been hearing of sub-$1/meg
> contracts.

Me too.

> Not sure what your price per meg is with all
> those layers.

It's competitive - we don't rely only on the kit to pay for
itself :-). But I digress...

> I'm seeing one player come back at nearly
> $100/meg in the us. They obviously will not be selected
> for transit.

US$100/Mbps/month? In the U.S.? Is that via satellite, 'coz
that ain't right!

Mark.