[c-nsp] Downsides of combining P and PE functions into a single box

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Oct 20 06:21:07 EDT 2011

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 06:10:14 PM sthaug at nethelp.no
wrote:

> This is where we disagree somewhat. What we see here is
> that customers have started ordering 10G circuits before
> we have cost-effective >10G circuits in the core.

That's why I said, "provided you have the right platform in
the core".

Before we were looking at a scalable core, our only option
was to deploy 10Gbps customers into our optical network. The
optical core is great as we can have multiple lambdas in a
single fibre pair, but the optical edge is terrible, of
course. Good thing we own the optical network too, but
still...

In this case, your only recourse is to work with your vendor
on your core, as you and I both know that there isn't
anything more than what is already on the market from them.

Sadly, as of today, this is too ISP-specific to have any
real meaning of a useful debate on this list. Maybe in 5
years we'll have a more interesting discussion :-).

Mark.