[c-nsp] MPLS - MP-BPG with multiple OSPF areas

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Oct 24 22:25:41 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, October 25, 2011 08:37:39 AM Livio Zanol Puppim
wrote:

> Searching the Internet about this topic, I've found a
> draft that seems to be a near future solution for some
> major MPLS networks, called "seamless MPLS". As written
> in the laymann draft (
> http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-mpls-seamless-mpls-00
> .txt), the implementation uses 2 levels of IS-IS (or 2
> OSPF areas).

I looked at this draft a long time ago, and had a chat with
the authors about some of the concepts.

In general, the draft is fine, but a little complicated. It
calls for confederations and BGP Labeled Unicast (RFC 3107).
However, I do understand that if you're talking about a
network of that size, it likely is a viable way to scale the
interior routing domain.

There are also complications with running multiple IS-IS
levels when you're implementing RSVP-TE. For us, we're heavy
on NG-MVPN with p2mp LSP's, so that could be problem. Of
course, if you're doing MPLS-TE across IS-IS levels,
expanded loose hops becomes your only option when you have a
hierarchical IS-IS implementation.

At any rate, we've now operationalized a full end-to-end
IP/MPLS Metro-E network (thank God for no more spanning
trees), which implements Seamless MPLS, but with the usual
architecture and not the decentralized core, i.e., IS-IS for
the IGP, iBGP and MPLS. This is on the ME3600X for the
Access. I plan to discuss our deployment experiences at an
industry event near you.

I probably should get back in touch with the authors of
Seamless MPLS, just to touch base :-).

Mark.