[c-nsp] partial prefix load in ibgp

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Oct 26 09:59:55 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, October 26, 2011 04:06:31 PM Nikolay Shopik
wrote:

> I've got two borders connected via ibgp, both receving
> full-view via uplinks, and I notice one of borders
> receiving about 190K prefixes via ibgp. But I'm clearly
> sure there no filters at all. Configuration between
> borders are pretty simple and consist just two lines.
>
> neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as 65536
> neighbor x.x.x.x next-hop-self

Just curious - are your border routers terminating customers
directly? If not, and your customers are connected to edge
routers lower in the topology stack, would you be happy with
not allowing the border routers to exchange the routes they
learn from their respective upstreams?

Rather, you simply send the upstream routes down to the edge
routers to which your customers connect (via a route
reflector, if you have one), and then let those edge routers
choose which border router is the best path to which
Internet destination?

This is what we do, and there's a certain joy to be had when
upstream routes are not expressly learned among border
routers.

Of course, if your border routers are also doubling as edge
routers that your customers connect to, you have no choice
but to do what you're doing now.

> Only difference is one border have configuration via
> address-family ipv4 while other doesn't have such
> sub-command, everything under router bgp. Any ideas
> where should I look?

Doesn't matter - contextual representation is local to the
router. The BGP protocol still behaves the same way
regardless of what CLI you choose to deploy.

Cheers,

Mark.