[c-nsp] ASR9k and A9K-8T-L architecture

Anton Turygin pa3op at tsua.net
Thu Oct 27 06:30:35 EDT 2011

Hello,

We have an ASR9k with A9K-RSP-4G and A9K-8T-L installed.

As per documentation:
There are two fabric interface ASIC on each RSP. Each fabric interface
ASIC provides 40 GB of throughput.
Each line card (LC) has four 23 GB fabric channels on which to send
traffic to the fabric ASICs. The switch fabric is in an active/active
relationship. All four fabric ASICs are active, even though the RSP cards
are in an active/standby relationship. The system performs load balancing
on unicast traffic across these four channels.

Does it mean that the A9K-8T-L will use 4x23=92Gbps to send traffic to
the single RSP(limiting by 2x40Gb on the ASICs of the RSP)? Or should we
have both RSPs (active and standby) installed to reach linerate throughput?

Thanks.

--
RAZ-RIPE