[c-nsp] Alternate setup for "better" HA

Michele Bergonzoni bergonz at labs.it
Thu Oct 27 10:28:17 EDT 2011

Il 27/10/2011 0.04, John Elliot ha scritto:
> Our "usual" setup would be to have a 2851 + 2960 as "active", and
> manually copy the config across to the spare 2851+2960, and if one of
> the primary fails, it would require swapping cables....not ideal.

If the 2851s have independent connections to your core, you can connect
the second 2851 to the first 2960 (and the first 2851 to the second
2960), create the SVI interfaces with the same IP address as the first
2851, and keep them in shutdown.

Thus if your first 2851 fails, you can telnet to the second and manually
"no shut" them: not a big deal, but usually faster than running at the
POP. You can also make a clever HSRP + EEM setup to have this
automatically done, but I personally would not use such a complicated
setup for such a minor achievement.

For the 2960s, if your carrier gives you only one physical connector
there is not much that you can do to achieve redundancy: the connector
has to be plugged in some device (here it's the 2960), and if it fails
you have to move it.

Hope this helps. Bye,

				Bergonz

--
Ing. Michele Bergonzoni - Laboratori Guglielmo Marconi S.p.a.
Phone:+39-051-4392826 e-mail: bergonz at labs.it
alt.advanced.networks.design.configure.operate