[c-nsp] Cat 4500 series High CPU

Tóth András diosbejgli at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 19:04:38 EDT 2011

Hi Terry,

Did you have a chance to review the following documentations?

High CPU Utilization on Cisco IOS Software-Based Catalyst 4500 Switches
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00804cef15.shtml

Troubleshooting High CPU on the Catalyst 4500-E Series Switch
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/troubleshooting/cpu_util.html

Mgmt LoPri process is not only responsible for MAC learning, it could
be a couple more things. If you have narrowed down the issue to be
frequent MAC learning, try looking for L2 loops where MAC addresses
might flap between 2 ports and check which addresses are continuously
learnt. Additionally, look for frequent STP TCNs with 'sh span detail'
command and look for topology changes which can cause MAC table
flushing.

If you still need help, I would recommend opening a TAC case.

Best regards,
Andras