[c-nsp] Cat 4500 series High CPU

Yann GAUTERON yann at gauteron.me
Sat Sep 3 02:27:22 EDT 2011

Hi Terry,

If you haven't done an "no ip redirects" on all your routed interfaces, this
could be an issue.

We faced this problem recently. In fact on a subnet shared by 2 routers, one
host used my 4507 as its default gateway. As the 4507 knew that the best
path to reach the destination was through the second router on the same
subnet, it created and sent back an IGMP Redirect. This was CPU consuming.

If you don't need your routers/L3 switches to send back this IGMP Redirect
message, you'd better to put "no ip redirects" on all your routed interfaces
(no switchport physical interfaces and vlan interfaces).

Hope this helps. Keep us informed.

Yann