[c-nsp] IP Accounting for IPv6

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Sep 7 06:36:57 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 11:08:34AM +0100, Chris Mason wrote:
> > "ip accounting" has been dead for about 10 years now...  it's still there,
> > but netflow scales much better and uses far less CPU.
>
> I knew you were going to say that :)

Sorry for that :-) - I was a big fan of IP accounting for the longest
time, and was highly annoyed to have to move to netflow...

> I was looking for a solution
> which didn't involve an external collector and could provide on-box
> statistics aggregated to the src/dst IP (we are talking about small
> amounts of traffic - a handfull of hosts at remote sites). It may be
> my incorrect understanding of NetFlow, but I thought that flows would
> be removed from the device once they were inactive for a period of
> time (depending on the inactive timer).

Correct.

> I am looking for the ability
> to generate long term (about a week) of accouting information.

As far as I know, there is no such thing for IPv6.

There's "netflow top talkers", but that's also only IPv4 (at least as
far as I can see in a quick test, on Sup720/SXI*).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de