[c-nsp] IOS XR

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Sep 7 22:29:23 EDT 2011

On Thursday, September 08, 2011 01:27:09 AM Mikael
Abrahamsson wrote:

> Most IPTV applications will give visual impairment at
> single packet losses. At 50ms packet loss you're losing
> a lot more than single packet.
>
> I pulled 50ms from the classic SDH/SONET convergence
> time, I'd say it's pretty much industry standard when
> aiming for quick convergence.

Except that actually attaining it in the real IP/MPLS world,
especially when you are a multi-vendor network, can be quite
interesting, depending on how each vendor implements MPLS-
TE, and where the break/repair needs to occur, and in some
cases, how that particular platform actually implements the
technology.

But generally speaking, it does turn out to be reasonably
better than simply relying on intrinsic IGP convergence. We
run a sizeable IPTv transport network and are quite happy,
including a test CRS box in the core/path of recovery where
Receiver PE routers are Juniper MX480's.

Cheers,

Mark.