[c-nsp] nexus material and coloured CWDM 10G SFP+

Holemans Wim wim.holemans at ua.ac.be
Fri Sep 9 05:14:05 EDT 2011

Recently we started using CWDM coloured 10G SFP+ interfaces (smartoptics) on our campus network (in 4900M with OneX convertors). This works just fine although Cisco probably will tell us that is not supported...
I'm wondering if someone already did the same thing on nexus 5xxx switches, especially 5010 and 5548. We are planning to build a new backbone between different datacenters based on nexus material (5010 in 2 remote datacenters, 5548 in the central datacenter). We could use the transponders of our CWDM vendor and use local SR SFP+ interfaces but these transponders cost about 3x times more than coloured SFP+ interfaces (and these don't com cheap). Using coloured SFP+ interfaces moves control/monitoring of the fiber losses  to the end device but we can live with that.
Second question : can you read out fiber losses on a nexus ? (cfr show int transc in IOS)

Greetings,

Wim Holemans
Netwerkdienst Universiteit Antwerpen
Network Services University of Antwerp