[c-nsp] Troubleshoot UDP out-of-sequence

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon Sep 12 17:45:06 EDT 2011

On 12/09/2011 21:08, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Quoting RFC 768 (User Datagram Protocol):
> "This protocol  provides  a procedure  for application  programs  to
> send messages  to other programs  with a minimum  of protocol mechanism.
> The protocol  is transaction oriented, and delivery and duplicate
> protection are not guaranteed.  Applications requiring ordered reliable
> delivery of streams of data should use the Transmission Control Protocol
> (TCP) [2]."

I would be interested to hear your opinion on how tcp over multicast would
work.

But I agree with your general point that it's a bit much to expect an
application to work where it depends on intercontinental multicast to work
flawlessly and where the upper levels of the application don't even
tolerate out of order packets.  "Be liberal in what you expect.  Be
conservative in what you send".

Nick