[c-nsp] RSP720 dropping ipsec packets

Cassidy Larson alandaluz at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 03:48:28 EDT 2011

I tried the following with the same results:
12.2(33)SRC6 and 12.2(33)SRD6 and 15.0(x).

Currently we're running 15.1(1)S1 on them all.

The only bad one that I documented was:
RSP720 Hw = 5.6
MSFC4 Hw = 1.5
PFC3CXL Hw = 1.0
Firmware was 12.2(33r)SRD

I dont have the original bad RSP720 Hw version.

The "good" pair I have now is:
RSP720 Hw=5.2
MSFC4 Hw=1.1
PFC3CXL Hw=1.0

Another "good" pair I have is:
RSP720 Hw=5.9
MSFC4 Hw=1.4
PFC3CXL Hw=1.0

Once we found one Hw version combo that worked, my vendor made sure
and got one that matched when I added the redundant RSP, just to be
safe. No idea if that's the cause, but I was using the exact same
hardware, configs, IOS, Fw, on each when the IPSEC drops happened.
When I swapped out the RSP720 the third time all the IPSEC drops
stopped.

It was a nightmare.

Hope this helps,

-c