[c-nsp] IOS XR

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Sep 13 06:47:55 EDT 2011

On Monday, September 12, 2011 07:41:17 PM Rob Shakir wrote:

> This is one of the nice things about looking at
> convergence between the optical and IP/MPLS layers - as
> I think is outlined in [0], there's now some possibility
> for the IP/MPLS layer to get some insight into what's
> happening at the optical layer, and trigger protection
> on this basis. If one utilises the pre-FEC error count,
> then theoretically, if the protection mechanism is
> applied in the small window prior to the channel
> becoming completely unavailable (and rather whilst it's
> in some failure mode that the level of FEC is able to
> protect you from), then it's possible to avoid having a
> service interruption during such a failure.

IPoDWDM - I've seen this in action in a Cisco lab, and was
quite impressed. I think failure detection occurred even
below 50ms, which is great.

This is a by-product of development in integrating ROADM's
within router line cards to eliminate their need in typical
DWDM deployments, as I'm sure most of us know. The real
question is whether it is actually cheaper, in the long run.
Some camps have thought that, really, it isn't necessarily
any cheaper to run an integrated optical and packet network
than it is to run an overlay network - most especially if
you're looking at 10Gbps links or less.

Mark.