[c-nsp] ASR-1001 bgp memory usage

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Thu Sep 22 00:37:14 EDT 2011

You do get multiple processes.  The IOS CLI portion is fairly monolithic but even on the old 6500s you
can restart the BGP process (you have to remove all configured peers to do it though :( )
They are working on streamlining XE to provide better isolation of the CLI and underlying driver code.
And don't disparage the redundant processes, it isn't a bad design.
Of course full modularity is something of a myth.
If the underlying OS has issues then all of the processes are going to have issues.

Having said all of that, yes they can do a better job of modularizing things.

Mack