[c-nsp] ASR-1001 bgp memory usage

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Thu Sep 22 01:44:08 EDT 2011

Christian,

You are most likely running in software redundancy mode, where the Linux
kernel takes a portion of the memory, and what is left is split 50/50
for 2 separate IOS processes.
You could disable software redundancy, and gain more memory for the
single IOS process.

Another option is to upgrade the RAM of the router. ASR1K can go up to
8G...

Some info about software redundancy can be found here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chas
sis/Software_Packaging_Architecture.html#wpxref69339
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chas
sis/High_Availability.html#wp1058945

Specifically for BGP, I would suggest you take a look at the output of
"show ip bgp summary". It shows how much memory BGP actually uses for
the different pieces of information.
This means that adding a new peer not necessarily means the same block
of memory is required for all the information, as network entries and
paths use separate links memory structures. If you get 2 full feeds,
most of the network entries would be the same, and there would just be
an addition path entry (which takes substantially less memory per entry
compared to a network entry).

This document may give you some further hints:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009
4a83.shtml

A common memory related optimization for BGP is to disable inbound soft
reconfiguration. This feature is not really needed today (due to dynamic
inbound soft reset), and takes a substantial amount of memory if you
take full routes with all the churn on the internet.
Here is some info about the feature:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/11_3/np1/configuration/guide/1cbgp.h
tml#wp10995
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6599/products_data_sheet09186a0080