[c-nsp] 65K/S720/SXI - CoPP and RP SPAN order of operations?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Sep 23 04:17:06 EDT 2011

On 09/22/2011 06:28 PM, Jeremy Reid wrote:
> Hey 65K CoPP/SPAN gurus,
>
> Does anyone know the definitive order of operations (for a 65K/s720
> running 12.2(33)SXI5) between CoPP and an rp-inband CPU SPAN session?

CoPP is an ingress QoS policy, run in the DFC or PFC. It should precede
any CPU reception.

You do have "mls qos" enabled globally, right?

> In other words, if I have a CoPP service policy applied to the
> control plane (input) that drops all traffic matching a specific
> class, should I expect to continue to see such traffic appear in the
> output of a SPAN session of the RP CPU even though its ultimately
> being dropped by CoPP?

Assuming that:

  1. The traffic type is one which CoPP drops in hardware
  2. The CoPP policy is programmed into hardware correctly

Then no, you shouldn't see CoPP-denied traffic. I've just tested on our
sup720 running SXJ1 and a span of the RP does not see CoPP-denied traffic.

People have reported CoPP "mis-programming" bugs on the sup720 on this
list before; I've never seen it, but you might be able to find something
in the archives.

What does:

sh mls qos ip

...say?

> Is this all completely normal behavior, and its just my expectation
> that I would NOT see CoPP dropped traffic in an RP SPAN that's
> incorrect?

I don't think you should be seeing that traffic; it's unicast UDP with
no special handling, CoPP should process it in hardware before the RP
sees it.

What linecards are you using?