[c-nsp] N7k as Enterprise core MPLS P/PE

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 15:36:20 EDT 2011

We are currently using the C6K in this role. The N7K is looking like
the logical replacement.

If Cisco produced a 10/100/1000/PoE FEX, and upgraded the N7K to
support 100s of FEX on a chassis pair, we could replace the entire
access layer with N7K plus FEX remote linecards. Now that would be
cool...

Tim:>

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on this platform as an MPLS P/PE
> router.
>
> It probably seems odd, and that an ASR9k might be a more obvious choice, but
> for an enterprise MPLS core router it has a few nice properties - lots of
> 10gig, goes fast, decent OS and commonality of sparing and parts with the
> datacentre (if you use them there).
>
> I'm assuming an ASR9k is a lot more expensive than an N7k?
>
> Why *wouldn't* you buy an N7k in this role?
>
> Just pondering...
>
> Cheers,
> Phil

Tim:>