[c-nsp] vlan translation

Murphy, William William.Murphy at uth.tmc.edu
Fri Sep 30 17:58:02 EDT 2011

We use VLAN translation to create virtual segments through a security device.  When it's untagged it's simple, each end is an access port in a different VLAN and you can force traffic through by placing hosts in one VLAN and their gateway in the other.  When it's a trunk you have to use VLAN translation to pair up the VLANs across the trunk...  It works great...  Only gotcha I experienced is the default interface command removed the translation from like 8 ports.  My line card only allows unique translations per bank of like 8 ports and the default interface command applied to a single interface affected all 8 interfaces...  I called it a bug but Cisco didn't agree...