[c-nsp] Adding a SUP720-3BXL standby SUP question

Piotr Wojciechowski peper at peper.eu.org
Wed Apr 4 16:42:05 EDT 2012

On 4/4/12 22:14 , Lee Starnes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question about the 6509 and the SUP720-3BXL standby sup. If a
> chassis only has 1 SUP installed and you install a second one, will that
> disrupt the currently installed and working SUP? I ask this because we have
> our standby SUPs and I would like to install them, but I know they don't
> have the same version of IOS running. I don't want to blow away the config
> or cause the chassis to go down when installing these. Does anyone have any
> experience with this?

Hi,

Normally when you insert second sup as a standby (same type, hardware
configuration including PFC and memory) it should synchronize itself to
active one including IOS and configuration (except configuration
registers) and reload as standby. But I normally recommend my customers
to manually load proper IOS to supervisor on spare chassis and insert
prepared one into production chassis.

Regards,

--
Piotr Wojciechowski  (CCIE #25543)  | "The trouble with being a god is
http://ccieplayground.wordpress.com | that you've got no one to pray to"