[c-nsp] snmp counters wrong for SVI with multicast

Artyom Viklenko artem at aws-net.org.ua
Thu Apr 5 02:02:57 EDT 2012

On 05.04.2012 01:36, Tony wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently had similar problems and logged a case with TAC. After discussing/arguing with them for quite some time (2 cases over a period of 4-5 months) they were finally able to reproduce my issue and the net result was:
>
> Filed a bug
> : CSCtj63596&
> the fix is available in 12.2(33)SRE3
> I don't know if this is the same problem as you, but the symptoms are similar (the bug description is fairly vague). I was getting twice the real bandwidth usage in certain monitoring intervals, not continually though. It didn't seem to be specific to multicast in my case, but the box in question does have other multicast traffic through it.
>
> We are currently running 12.2(33)SDR4 and I haven't yet had a chance to upgrade to the version indicated above so I can't tell you whether it has fixed the problem as TAC suggests.
>

> If you do upgrade, it would be good to know if it fixes your issue (as it could be related to similar code about SNMP stats).

Hi!

Today I rebooted one router and upgrade IOS to 12.2(33)SRD7.
Problem still there. Can confirm that it present on SRD5 and SRD6
also. And as with previous version - delta is equal to total
bandwidth of multicast streams more or less. Router is one of
MPLS core nodes. IPTV traffic lives in MVPN vrf. It comes through
one of uplinks and then exit router via one physycal interface
acting as router port. Output load of this interface is exactly
the delta between physical uplink port and interface vlan carrying
this inbound multicast.

My previous experiments with SRE2 was little bit negative with
multicasting. In our case with SRE2 we got 100% cpu utilization
caused by incoming multicast streams on the router receiving all
100+ streams. So we decide to stay with SRD. Now we have SRE6.
May be it's time to try again. But need deep testing.

Thanks!

--
            Sincerely yours,
                             Artyom Viklenko.