[c-nsp] REP common link over VPLS

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Mon Apr 9 17:33:30 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm looking for some guidance on how to configure a REP common link over VPLS.  I've read a bunch of docs that more or less elude to the fact that it should be supported, but no combination of documents thus far have clearly outlined what the prerequisites are in terms of software, ES vs. ES+ hardware or relevant configuration glue to make this work.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/configuration/guide/lsw_cfg_rep.html#wp1316104
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/install_config/ES20_config_guide/baldpref.html
Cisco Live 2010 session BRKSPG-2205 (Deploying and Designing with Resilient Ethernet Protocol) page 79

I've got two 7600/SUP720/SRE5 boxes with a chain of ME3400s connecting the two over 6724 LAN based linecard ports.  I've also got an ES port between each 7600 to carry the SVI based EoMPLS foo between the two, and this is where I'd like to establish the VPLS common link (hopefully the below ASCII diagram will show up OK):

[ 7600-1 ]--(6724-GE)--[ ME3400-1 ]--[ ME3400-2 ]--(6724-GE)--[ 7600-2 ]
    +---------------------------(ES20-GE)-------------------------- +

In terms of config, I've got the 6724 chain side configured as a REP segment and the REP admin VLAN is 1/default.  I haven't been able to find the configuration glue needed to make REP aware that the common link for the segment is the VPLS pseudowire between the two 7600s:

! 7600-1
!
interface loopback 0
 ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.255
 ip router isis 21949
!
interface GigabitEthernet8/22
 description Facing ME3400-1
 switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk
 rep segment 19 edge primary
!
interface GigabitEthernet7/0/19
 description Facing 7600-2
 mtu 9216
 ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.254
 no ip redirects
 ip router isis 21949
 mpls ip
 mls qos trust dscp
 bfd interval 250 min_rx 250 multiplier 4
 clns mtu 9199
 ethernet vlan color-block all
!
interface Vlan1
 no ip address
 xconnect vfi REP-PROTECT
!
l2 vfi REP-PROTECT manual
 vpn id 2194900101
 bridge-domain 1 vlan
 neighbor 2.2.2.3 encapsulation mpls
!

! 7600-2
!
interface loopback 0
 ip address 2.2.2.3 255.255.255.255
 ip router isis 21949
!
interface GigabitEthernet8/22
 description Facing ME3400-2
 switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk
 rep segment 19 edge
!
interface GigabitEthernet7/0/19
 description Facing 7600-1
 mtu 9216
 ip address 1.1.1.3 255.255.255.254
 no ip redirects
 ip router isis 21949
 mpls ip
 mls qos trust dscp
 bfd interval 250 min_rx 250 multiplier 4
 clns mtu 9199
 ethernet vlan color-block all
!
l2 vfi REP-PROTECT manual
 vpn id 2194900101
 bridge-domain 1 vlan
 neighbor 2.2.2.2 encapsulation mpls
!

REP topology looks OK:

7600-1#show rep top
REP Segment 19
BridgeName       PortName   Edge Role
---------------- ---------- ---- ----
7600-1           Gi8/22     Pri  Open
3400-1           Gi0/2           Open
3400-1           Gi0/1           Open
3400-2           Gi0/1           Open
3400-2           Gi0/2           Open
7600-2           Gi8/22     Sec  Alt

VFI is up:

7600-1#show vfi name REP-PROTECT

Legend: RT=Route-target, S=Split-horizon, Y=Yes, N=No

VFI name: REP-PROTECT, state: up, type: multipoint
  VPN ID: 2194900101
  Bridge-Domain 1 attachment circuits:
    Vlan1
  Neighbors connected via pseudowires:
  Peer Address     VC ID        S
  2.2.2.3          2194900101   Y

However in a REP segment failure, the pseudowire seems to be pretty much useless acting as a common link for the failed segment.

Is anyone running a config like this?  Am I missing something obvious (or not so obvious?)?

Thanks in advance.