[c-nsp] ip synchronisation

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Wed Apr 11 12:07:45 EDT 2012

This seems to be 2 different things and often confused and blurred
together...

1 - As I understand it, NTP is typically used for achieving a consistent
clock source across devices such that date/time stamps of logs and various
things (I heard even licenses in IOS XR could potentially be affected by bad
clock (what isn't really expired could appear to be expired if wrong clock
is there)) are consistent.

2 - the idea of network synchronization or network clocking is typically an
idea/reality related to networks that pass traffic where synchronicity is
needed....tdm networks used this....t1's....  xmitter and rcvr have to be
locked-in with one another or you have bad user experience....pattern slips,
errors, other things.  I believe it's the accurate clocking of the
oscillator (I think known as phase lock loop or something like that) that
has to be there in order to understand where the REAL frame begins and
ends..... I think this is opposite that of Asynchronous communications where
I believe a clock isn't used but rather the clocking is achieved by looking
at a leading, well known, bit pattern in the actual frame header so that the
frame sort of tells the rcv'ing device when to start reading it in and where
frame begins and ends.  I believe Ethernet is considered to be asynchronous
with its preamble/sfd telling the rcvr when to start reading in the frame
and to stop reading that frame...

Aaron