[c-nsp] Policy based routing - Packets being punted to CPU

Andy S tswmmeejsdad at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 20:55:32 EDT 2012

Hi There,

A quick questions in relation to the following policy based routing
configuration for a Cisco 6500.

Example:

interface TenGigabitEthernet9/8
 ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.252
 no ip redirects
 ip directed-broadcast
 ip route-cache flow
 ip policy route-map MY-TEST
!
route-map MY-TEST permit 10
 match ip address MY-TEST-ACL
 set ip next-hop 192.168.255.10
 set ip df 0
!
route-map MY-TEST permit 20

1/ Does having the permit 20 rule cause all my packets to be punted to the
CPU???

According to the output below, I believe this is happening as a result of
the permit 20 rule.

#show tcam interface tenGigabitEthernet 9/8 acl in ip

* Global Defaults shared

Entries from Bank 0

Entries from Bank 1

    permit       ip any 224.0.0.0 15.255.255.255
    punt         ip any any

2/ If point one is true, can I just remove the permit 20 rule which I
believe will stop all packets being punted to the CPU?

I don't believe policy-maps have an implicit deny at the end, so packets
that don't match permit 10 should continue to be routed using the routing
table. Is this true also?

Thanks.

Andy