[c-nsp] An observation: 512k default max-prefix in IOS-XR

Robert Blayzor rblayzor.bulk at inoc.net
Sat Apr 28 16:10:24 EDT 2012

On Apr 28, 2012, at 3:46 PM, Sigurbjörn Birkir Lárusson wrote:
> The L3XL kills off video monitoring and requires an even more expensive
> license and this is one of the main reasons the ASR9k doesn't sound that
> exciting to me at this point.  I'd like to see a lot more available tcam
> space before committing to a new platform long term.

Well the reality of the 720-3BXL in an IPv4/v6 world is that you get about 500k IPv4 and half that in IPv6 (IIRC).

The l3xl scale license will get you 1M IPv4 routes and 128K IPv6.  Of course you'll lose a lot of your L2 scale.  So if your considering the 9K, it would make a decent Internet facing router or massive Ethernet transport/aggregation platform... not both.  Maybe this changed with the new RSP's...

--
Robert Blayzor
INOC, LLC
rblayzor at inoc.net