[c-nsp] Will the Cisco 2911 push GigE with NAT enabled ?

Dave dcostell-cisconsp at torzo.com
Mon Apr 30 10:42:41 EDT 2012

Good morning list,

I apologize for what is a long winded explanation followed by what may
be a 'common knowledge' type of question, but I did try google first to
find this information and either I'm not using the correct search terms
or I am truly missing something. I throw myself on the mercy of the list
and humbly request the assistance of those with more experience than
myself.

We have a Cisco 2911 ISR with a 1Gig connection to our remote site and I
am completely unable to get more than 100Mbps across this router. The
closer I get to 100Mbps the higher the CPU load goes due to interrupts.
We are running NAT and I have followed the troubleshooting proceedures
from cisco regarding high cpu utilization due to interrupts.

No interfaces have any access lists longer than 10 entries. I also tried
both with and without NetFlow switching enabled.

CEF is showing enabled and running on all interfaces, however I am
seeing a large number of packets that are process switched. ( I assume
due to NAT Translation)

show alignment says that no alignment data has been recorded and no
spurious memory references have been recorded.

We have no voice ports or ATM interfaces

currently running IOS 15.1(4)M3

recently upgraded the memory on the router with a 2Gig stick.

I'm at a complete loss as to what is happening unless this router is
simply not capable of doing full gigE. I will happily provide output of
any diagnostic commands if needed. Can someone even tell me if this
rotuer is actually capable of hitting GigE speeds ?

Thank you

Dave