[c-nsp] multicast within a mpls vpn (ios xr , asr9000)

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Mon Apr 30 15:53:14 EDT 2012

Anyone know the idea behind what is required for allowing multicast over an
mpls vpn?

Would I need to start with a regular mpls L3VPN?....and then add-on
multicast capabilities after that?  If so, I'm pretty comfortable with the
moving parts of a L3VPN, so please let me know what the additional mcast
commands are that I would need.

I've read about but don't fully understand mdt tunnels, default mdt and data
mdt and that the mpls service provider core needs to be multicast enabled
..is this true ?

Also, I'm currently doing SSM, so that's the type of mcast I would need to
support within the customer vrf.

Aaron