[c-nsp] Link aggregation funniness

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Aug 3 02:32:26 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 06:49:52PM -0700, Mike wrote:
> 	What I think is happening, is that from the sw1 side, when the
> 	router sends a packet, the switch s simply picking the physical port to
> forward thru and this will be the same port everytime, thus radios on the
> other port won't ever hear their name called.

Exactly so.  (Hashed by src/dst MAC address, or src/dst IP address,
depending on switch model and balancing setup - but that won't change
the issue for you).

> I have experimented and if I
> put in a host route from the other side for the radios on the other link, I
> can make it work, I think it's only because of luck of the draw that the
> hash worked out to send out the other link. It seems then that really,
> with etherchannel, I cannot expect to have consistient access to middle
> devices and this really was intended for switch-to-switch operation. Can
> anyone suggest how I might make this fly?

Do away with the port-channel, use two l3 vlans and l3 load balancing?

(Hard to say whether that's a viable alternative without knowing more
about your needs)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de