[c-nsp] TCP Timer 70% CPU

Chris Knipe savage at savage.za.org
Mon Aug 13 04:31:25 EDT 2012

Hi,

Saw 4 sessions that was down and "sh tcp" showed thousands of
connections in a CLOSEWAIT state to those neighbors.  I presume that's
my culprit.

I shutted the neighbors that was down, but the connections are still
in an CLOSEWAIT - looking now to see about resetting them.  CPU usage
for the process is slowly starting to come down though, presumably the
connections are timing out and not being re-created.

Many thanks,
Chris.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Tim Warnock <timoid at timoid.org> wrote:
>> I have a Cisco 3825 with 1GB Ram doing some BGP peering (VERY low
>> traffic, not even 5mbit/s sustained throughput).  Memory usage is
>> absolutely fine and sitting at less than 50% utilization, and stable.
>>
>> The Router's CPU is showing an almost linear increases, and the 'TCP
>> Timer' process is currently sitting at over 70% CPU load.  Cisco
>> documentation suggests:
>> TCP Timer
>>
>> What can I look at possibly to determine root cause and fix?
>>

> Hi Chris,
>
> Any chance one of your BGP sessions are down?

Regards,
Chris Knipe