[c-nsp] IPv6 domain reply Cisco 6509 IPv4 address

Chuck Church chuckchurch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:09:15 EDT 2012

Weird.  I'm just starting to play around with Juniper stuff now, and noticed
pretty much the same behavior.  Configured a v4 DNS server, but a lookup
resulted in a V6 address trying to be used.  Don't have V6 enabled anywhere,
routing table was empty.  Figured it was some knob I'm not familiar with in
JunOS.  Didn't get to wiresharking it, but similar.  Would a device be silly
enough to request an AAAA record out a v4 only interface?  Would a DNS
server ever hand out an AAAA for a v4 request (perhaps NAT64/DNS64
intercepting somewhere?)

Chuck