[c-nsp] SFP high power alarm

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Aug 21 10:47:54 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 06:13 -0700, Wayne Tucker wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 3:13 AM, marc williams <marcuk at me.com> wrote:
> > %SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te4/1/2: Tx power high alarm; Operating
> > value:   0.6 dBm, Threshold value:   0.0 dBm
>
> Too much signal can cause receiver saturation, which in turn leads to
> errors on the interface.  If you aren't seeing errors then you're
> probably OK, but I always prefer to attenuate the signal so the errors
> go away.

Maybe I misunderstand the DOM parameter, but would attenuation have an
influence on what the TX power is according to the transceiver itself?

To me it sounds like a faulty transceiver, though an optical power meter
could qualify that a bit.

Not really related but we have previously had a few transceivers logging
"Voltage low alarm; Operating value: 0.00V". We ignore these since they
work fine and since 0.00V sounds more like a measuring bug than actual
low voltage.

--
Peter