[c-nsp] Upgrade IOS and incompatible config

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Mon Dec 3 21:08:20 EST 2012

Hi,

	I did a but on my 7201 where the router reloaded with sigsegv. I know
what I was doing and am pretty sure I found a related cisco bug id, and
I involved tac to advise me on the upgrade since I wanted to be sure
they concurred before I went ahead with the upgrade.

	They recommended a particular software version, and so I went ahead and
queued it up. When the router reloaded with the new code, it started
complaining about some config file statements which were moderately
important to us. The barf was like this:

%T1 1 channel-group 0 has been used
%T1 2 channel-group 0 has been used
  t1 1 description  test
       ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

%T1 1 channel-group 0 has been used
%T1 2 channel-group 0 has been used
  t1 1 description  test
       ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

  vendor-tag remote-id service
             ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

  vendor-tag dsl-sync-rate service
             ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

  nas-port-id format c
   ^
[...]

The "[no] negotiation auto" command will have no effect with this
interfaceThe "[no]
negotiation auto" command will have no effect with this interface
  ip subscriber l2-connected
       ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

   initiator radius-proxy
    ^
[...]

radius-server attribute 61 extended
                          ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

radius-server attribute 31 send nas-port-detail mac-only
                            ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

radius-server attribute 31 remote-id
                            ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

	I am not sure how to interpret this but these specfic items are not
%100 fatal. I am using the radius server attributes as well as
'nas-port-id format c' for my own information at this time and am not
making authentication/authorization decisions with them just yet, but I
elected to go back to my prior IOS version anyways which booted and
loaded the config just fine.

	My tac engineer seems to want to experament and can't commit to giving
me any ios revision that will just accept my running config as is. I am
not willing to load another ios and spend hours or days debugging the
config on the fly due to non-recognised statements that could require
alternate configs to get around. That doesn't seem productive to me. So
what I would like to ask the group is, how do you handle minor config
file differences between versions like this or should I be expecting to
have %100 compatibility with no modifications required? If it helps, my
current running version is "c7200p-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRD8" while
the version reccomended to me by the tac engineer was
"c7200p-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T7.bin".

Thanks.

Mike-