[c-nsp] Upgrade IOS and incompatible config

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Tue Dec 4 06:03:05 EST 2012

On 12/04/2012 12:51 AM, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 06:08:20PM -0800, Mike wrote:
>
>> If it helps, my
>> current running version is "c7200p-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRD8" while
>> the version reccomended to me by the tac engineer was
>> "c7200p-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T7.bin".
>>
> The TAC engineer has no idea what he's doing.  In multiple ways.
>
> While 12.2SR* and 12.4T IOS have common ancestors, they have developed in
> heavily different directions, so there is lots of good stuff in 12.2SR
> that has not been incorporated into 12.4T (yet).  Even then, 12.4T is the
> "experimental new feature train" and should *never* be recommended anywhere
> today, unless lack of flash/ram/hardware support prevents installation of
> 15.0M - which has all features from 12.4T, plus (the important bit) all
> the bugfixes.
>
> I think your best bets are either 15.1M IOS (if that has all the features
> you need, I can't say for sure as I'm not running SR* stuff), or one of
> the 15.xS releases (15.0S, 15.1S) that are the true successors of the SR*
> train.

Thanks everyone. I tried several revisions and came up complete fail.

15.2.4S1 did not come up %100 correctly and left a subset of my
subscribers down. Had weird bootup messages such as " Warning: The CLI
will be deprecated soon" along with various advices, and some others
like "%BBA: T2 value must be zero or greater than T1." and others weird.

122-33.SRE7 did up up mostly correct, but upon inspection, some of my
snmp management tools began to malfunction since it was not returing
some OID's I poll for user management and such.

I feel like I would have to have another identical box here to throw
various revs on and 'see' what happens. Doing this with live production
gear is nonsense and given the comments and now this latest experience,
I'm wondering if I should escelate with tac or just don't do the thing
that I have learned causes the sigsegv reload and get used to it?

Mike-