[c-nsp] Freeing up BGP memory?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Dec 6 12:03:56 EST 2012

It seemed to me that it holds onto the memory until at the very least that
peer is reset/clear-ed, and might until a clear ip bgp * is issued.  We
recently had a 6506 (same SUP IIRC) go OOM tailspin too.  The fault was
mine, insufficient monitoring.  Had to remove soft reconfig and move some
peers off of it.  (In my defense I wasn't the one who set any of this up so
I've been fixing what I can as I go)

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Randy <amps at djlab.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> With three full tables on a SUP720-3BXL (SXI5), memory is getting tight.
> I removed soft reconfiguration inbound on all peers (and cleared them all),
> however memory usage is not changed (still about 75% utilized).  Does IOS
> hold onto once-used BGP memory or am I not understanding the effect of
> removing soft reconfiguration?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> ~Randy