[c-nsp] X2 optics (Re: Making SUP720 cope better under BGP load)

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Dec 10 02:46:41 EST 2012

On (2012-12-10 07:56 +0100), Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> >Inexplicably, Cisco have continued with their lovefest for X2
> >optics on the newer sup2t line cards rather than conforming with
> >the industry standard of sfp+ or xfp.
>
> It's because it's enterprise gear, and from what I'm told,
> enterprise has lovefest with multimode fiber and needs bulky optics
> to handle LX4 to get sufficient reach on their legacy cable plants.

Can you name optic only available in X2 casing, not XFP? I'd be surprised
to find one.

When I asked years ago in San Jose EBC from BU guy about their love for X2
the simply stated because it's most deployed/common 10GE switch optic in
the market.
I don't know if he was being funny or serious, considering Cisco was (still
is?) at that time shipping most 10GE ethernet ports in the world. So even
if their optic was techno goblins flickering glowsticks in a rave, it would
still be factually true statement.

--
  ++ytti