[c-nsp] Etherchannel port hashing consistency?

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Tue Dec 11 14:43:47 EST 2012

Quick question...

I have a stacked pair of 3750X switches currently feeding 2 trunks
through some "packet inspection devices" and into  ASA5540s.

We're upgrading to 5585s, and looking at doing etherchannel trunks out
of the 3750Xs and 5585s (now that ASAs support etherchannel).

If the ASAs are doing their default load balance (src-dst-ip) and the
3750X is setup for port-channel load-balance src-dst-ip, will they hash
the same flows through the same channels in each direction?

If not, the "packet inspection devices" will not be happy, expecting the
flows to be symmetric across each of their individual channels...

Jeff