[c-nsp] All multicast punting to CPU on 6500

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Dec 16 06:26:03 EST 2012

On 12/16/2012 10:59 AM, Robert Williams wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me, I'm afraid I'm not quite following you
> - so to try to answer your question here is a copy of the current
> CoPP on the test device.

I think the implication is that it's possible for a CoPP policy to
prevent the forwarding hardware "seeing" the multicast and installing
the hardware shortcuts to drop uninteresting traffic.

You might try disabling CoPP to see if that changes things.

You weren't very specific about the type of multicast traffic and the
multicast config on the box. I'm going to guess it's IPv4/IPv6 multicast
from the MAC addresses, but is the 6500 configured for multicast
routing, and is it enabled on that interface? If so, what does "sh ip mr
<the group>" say?

I assume you've eliminated the really obviously things like TTL=1 and IP
options / special packet stuff?