[c-nsp] 6500 admin shuts a new vlan if it has the same IP as a down vlan.

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Dec 17 12:53:42 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 12:34 -0500, Drew Weaver wrote:
> On a 6500 we use for lab/testing/dev if we create a new vlan with an
> IP address that is the same as another VLAN on the device the box will
> admin shut the new VLAN.

Our 6500s have alway put newly created SVIs in the shutdown state. We
need to manually "no shutdown" them. This is different from e.g. 3560
but the 4500 does so too.

> I understand it doing this if the existing VLAN is UP and maybe in
> certain circumstances if the existing VLAN is down but is there any
> way to disable this?

Why not just issue a "no shutdown" together with the commands that
create the interface? Or is this about something else?

I actually prefer the interfaces to be administratively shutdown on
creation; this makes it easier to avoid interfaces with incomplete
configuration in production.

--
Peter